Ferries were a common method of transportation through the swamps surrounding the Albemarle Sound throughout the history of the region. One ferry that linked the towns of Edenton and Mackeys, North Carolina, continued in service from 1734 to 1938. A railroad bridge was built across the sound in 1910. Then in 1938 a 3.5 mile long bridge was built across the Sound next to the railroad trestle. This was the first major road bridge in eastern N.C. and a vital link to the Outer Banks. Finally, the 1938 bridge was replaced by a new bridge in 1990. The old highway bridge and railroad trestle were demolished.